Monday, February 7, 2011

John Muir

     John Muir is a great human being whom I've added to my little list of heroes.  I had wanted to post the opening scene of The National Parks: America's Best Idea, but I could not find it anywhere to post it.  I really wanted to share this opening quote by John Muir along with the stunning images and music in the film, but I will just have to share the most important part of it; his words.


     One learns that the world, though made, is yet being made; that this is still the morning of creation; that mountains long conceived are now being born, brought to life by the glaciers, channels traced for rivers, basins hollowed for lakes.  When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe.  The whole wilderness in unity and interrelation is alive and familiar.  The very stones seem talkative, sympathetic, brotherly.  
     Everybody needs beauty as well as bread; places to play in and pray in, where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul alike.  This natural beauty hunger is made manifest in our magnificent National Parks, nature’s sublime wonderlands; the admiration and joy of the world.
                                                      -John Muir




3 comments:

  1. ooh. The grapes are MUCH better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW. This is an amazing quote!And I like the grapes too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! And yeah, this quote really blew my mind. And it's so true. A year ago I took a geology class just for fun and it really taught me that NOTHING exists in isolation. Everything is connected, even humans, to everything else. And the fact that he can take something so scientific and show how that is connected to spirituality and beauty just makes my heart sing.

    ReplyDelete