Thursday, June 17, 2010

Rebirth of Faith and Song

     Since I started running more frequently I have been thinking about what faith really is.  It seems to me that exercise is the perfect metaphor for faith.  When I went on my first run, I felt disgusting.  It was the physical activity that drew my attention to how unhealthy I was.  It would have been easy for me to say "Wow, running makes me feel horrible.  I don't want to do things that make me feel horrible because it must not be good for me."  You come to a realization of your weakness only as you challenge it.  It requires great effort to say "I am going to keep running even though it hurts so that I can push through and eventually receive the benefits."  It takes more than just two or three runs before you begin seeing the benefits or even begin making progress.  You have to make a consistent and full effort even though it's difficult for a long time.  If you only go once a week you won't really see much progress.  But eventually, by working through the pain every day, you will begin to find that running becomes easier.
     Similarly, when I make an effort to become a better person in some way or other and begin practicing things that are difficult for me, it can feel overwhelming and discouraging at first.  Whether I'm trying to improve my study habits, kindness towards others, spirituality, etc, it may seem at first like there is no hope of really changing.  But if you stop trying you'll never know.  Faith is pushing through that tough patch in the beginning (even if the tough patch seems to last for months) with the hope and confidence that eventually what was difficult will become easier and that you will grow in that particular capacity.
     Faith seems like such a simple concept, but I feel like I'm just beginning to have real, personal experiences with it.  The working through the pain, difficulty, and uncertainty; putting trust in the hope of change even though you don't have proof it will work.  And then amazingly, it does work.  I am beginning to really see the fruits of subtle labors I've been pursuing over the last few years.  And my confidence is growing.
     But something strange has happened to me in the last few years.  Something that used to be such a part of me, has become painfully distant.  I used to play guitar and sing quite a bit.  It was just something that was a part of my daily life and a part of my friendships with others.  Singing was like letting pieces of my soul touch pieces of other souls and the lovely molecules of the world around me.  When I close my eyes and imagine the sensation of playing and singing my brain somehow transforms the feelings into images and other sensations.  I can see myself all alone swinging at Penny Park in B.V. and recall the sensation of looking into the sky and allowing myself to feel as if gravity was reversed and that as I swung upward, I was actually free falling down into a sea of stars.  Then when the swing pulled me back and reminded me of the real direction of gravity, there was a rush inside as everything turned back right side up.  I get that same feeling sometimes playing music.   Or at least I used to.
     Sometimes it hurts to pick up the guitar again, unsure of why that feeling isn't there.  Maybe I just got out of the habit, and I struggle to be able to do certain things that used to be so easy to me.  Frankly, I have not been able to understand the reasons for my struggle.  I've analyzed and debated within myself.  I've tried to ignore it and I've tried to pretend it's not real.  But sure enough, when I touch my guitar again, the pain returns.  This leaves me only one option.  Push through.  It's like my first time running all over again.  Yeah.  I'm terrified that that old feeling will never come back.  But if I don't push through the initial discomfort, there will never be any way for me to know.  I long for that dizzy confusion of space and the summer night air in my face.  The commotion in the quiet and the final return to solid ground when the song is done.

Here's to faith!

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed this post, Maggie! Thanks for the thoughts. I've actually been realizing this similar concept recently. It's nice to know I'm not alone.

    ReplyDelete